Slug & Snail Control
We have nothing personal against slugs and snails – but when these greedy night visitors pounce on lettuce, hostas and other prize vegetation it is time to take action. The good news is that you can do something about these slimy critters whilst simultaneously protecting dogs, hedgehogs and other friendly garden dwellers. Read on to learn how this can be done.
- are all hermaphrodites
- lay up to 400 eggs per year
- Slugs can live up to 2 years, Snails can incredibly live to be 10 years old!
- have been on earth for approximately 500 million years
- are related to clams and squid
- can eat poisonous toadstools with no ill effects
Hunting in packs
As you have their favourite food sources lovingly planted and maintained it is effectively an invite to the table for Slugs and Snails – one that they are only too keen to accept under the cover of night and eat their fill! Slugs and snails never travel alone as they are always accompanied by their family and friends. This is why they are so effective in eating their way through our plants! It is no wonder: slugs and snails can lay up to 400 eggs – usually in a protected, insulated area to survive over the winter – to then hatch in the spring.
Here are some tips to help prevent your slug problem getting out of hand:
- Fence beds with a special slug barrier.
- Water only in the morning, not at night, as slugs and snails hate dry soil.
- Mulch beds with dry materials as thinly as possible so that the top layer is just covered.
- Loosen soil repeatedly to destroy their underground hiding places.
- Do not overly dig soil in the autumn as slugs and snails are very fond of laying their eggs under freshly dug clods of soil – instead simply loosen with a garden fork.
The active ingredient ’Ferric Phosphate’ in Sluggo® Slug & Snail Killer+ and Sluggo® Slug & Snail Killer Ultra+ causes cellular changes in the intestinal region of the slug/snail once ingested. After consumption the slug or snail will then bury into the ground due to feeling unwell and then die beneath the surface of the soil. This ensures that there are no dead slugs left on the soil nor any of the unpleasant slime trails that are associated with traditional slug pellets.
Sluggo®+ pellets that are not eaten simply breakdown into iron and phosphate which are both plant nutrients that occur naturally in the soil.
- No messy slime trails
- No visible dead slugs
- Suitable for use around vegetables, strawberries, lettuce and ornamental plants
- No waiting period between application and harvest of edibles
- Approved for organic gardening by the Organic Farmers and Growers Association
- Active ingredient content 19.8 g/kg Iron-III-phosphate, an iron compound that also occurs naturally in nature
- Covers double the area* and is effective against all varieties of slugs and snails on all edible and ornamental plants
- No slime trials, no visible dead slugs
- Unique micro pellets ideal against juvenile slugs and snails in early spring
- Extremely resistant to rain due to innovative bait technology